Closed Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: UBISOFT destroys PC market with new permanently online DRM

1. Top | #141
    Derple

Re: UBISOFT destroys PC market with new permanently online DRM

Quote Originally Posted by Calipip4
    A little something for you all to actually see!
    Where do you think I got my avatar from

2. Top | #142
    Retired Community Manager MaryH's Avatar

My Social Network

Follow MaryH On Twitter Add MaryH on Facebook

That's a perfect video of what players should expect. I hope it gets featured at the Ubisoft forums, because nobody will believe it otherwise.

As Bugs Bunny once said: "What a maroon!"

3. Top | #143

My Social Network

Follow Lisa Pham On Twitter Add Lisa Pham on Facebook
    Add Lisa Pham on Linkedin

Avault- The Adrenaline Vault: Boycott Ubisoft- March 2, 2010

Very soon you will not be able to play at all after your game’s authenticating server is taken down. If you think that won’t happen, take a hard look at EA, which has closed servers for a couple of games that are not even two years old. Moreover, should anyone ever carry out something as simple as a DDOS attack against the server, you will be out of luck. With the number of tech-savvy enemies that Ubisoft is making, this can be a very real possibility.
    Some say that DRM is meant to fight piracy. I say this argument is as pathetic as it is fallacious. We all know that the pirates will simply crack a game and play all they want without having to be connected to anything. An honest paying customer, on the other hand, is going to get shafted for no good reason whatsoever. So far this only affects PC gamers, but if it’s not stopped, this will come to haunt those who play on consoles as well.

Those of you who know me are well aware of how much I detest piracy. A month or so ago I even had an article published in which I implored pirates to change their ways. To me, stealing any of Ubisoft’s games is not an option, although I have heard plenty of people say that this is exactly what they will do. What you can do, however, is not buy any of their games until this idiotic policy is discontinued. But do not just boycott. Let other people know what’s going on. Tell your friends. Post on forums you frequent. If you see someone pick up a Ubisoft title at a store, let them know what’s going on.

You can also tell Ubisoft directly. There is no e-mail address on their site, but you can call them up and tell them how upset you are about their ridiculous and insulting policy. Tell them you were going to buy their games but have no intention of doing so anymore. This worked five years ago and it will work again today. You have to do it. All of us do. I own a number of Ubisoft’s games, and I hate to see it come to this, but since we are faced with this reality, we must take action to protect our interests.
    Alaric Teplitsky, has some very good points. I like this guy!

4. Top | #144

oh, that's just brilliant! Lisa, I think you should put that on the front page, seriously.

5. Top | #145

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses Mockett
    Boycotting is just one option for those who can take it. I, myself, can’t.
    What? I'm sorry for putting this so bluntly, but that's just lying to yourself. As many people have said playing Assassin's Creed 2 is not a vital thing that you have to play to live, you are choosing to buy the game despite its DRM. You might rationalize this choice by saying things such as "I'm supporting PC gaming" bit that is a flawed argument as you could easily buy other games with less restrictive DRM. Please, if you want to play the game and buy it just say so instead of making the argument that you "can't" boycott like the rest of us.

6. Top | #146

My Social Network

Hi Green Fairy,

Not everyone likes to boycott.. everyone has their own ideas and ways of doing things. That's what makes us individuals! Not all of us here have the same way of doing things, but we do respect each others opinion... not try to change them, but actually accept that they are individuals with their own opinions and values.

If we all thought the exact same way, we'd run out of new ideas and ways of handling things... so it's good to have a variation of opinions here. It's what's helped us all in this fight together and got us as far as we've come in such a short period of time.

My way of dealing with all DRM issues is I just don't buy any games any more (and no I don't pirate them either)... not just because I don't like a game or can't afford to buy a game or even the DRM on a game, but I'm standing my ground on my opinions and values. I don't expect others to follow me or even agree with the how I've chosen to deal with them. I also wouldn't appreciate someone telling me how to deal with something I believe in either. But none of that stops me from trying to still help all other gamers get a better deal in the long run.

7. Top | #147
    Arctic Blast

Okay, some reports on how this system works with Silent Hunter V on another forum.

Well I have some news:

The game does not dump you out if you lose internet connection during the gameplay. In fact it continues on like nothing ever happened. You can save the game fine, you don't have to, the game will continue to play fine. You can exit the game fine, however without an internet connection you can't launch the game. When you do finally launch the game after restoring internet service, the game will automatically sync up and save game files to the server (which seemed practically instantly in my case). So the games you saved while offline are there.

So here's what I did.
    1) installed the game (after the download from D2D finished)
    2) launched it and it immediately grabbed a patch and asked me to install it (which I did)
    3) launched again and this time I got a UBI login, which I logged in.
    4) Started a scenario (the river one)
    5) Played around a bit, traveled a little ways, explored the sub some
    6) Dived down some
    7) unplugged the ethernet cable from my computer (read = disconnected from internet)
    8) observed no issues, no pausing, it just continued to play
    9) so I play for another 20 minutes, surfaced the boat, made some course corrections, etc..
    10) saved the game after all that, again no problems doing that.
    11) Exited out
    12) Tried to launch again (before fixing the cable) and it denied me.
    13) reconnected the internet cable
    14) launched again, and it popped up a little window syncing my save game files (this was after I logged in).
    15) loaded my savegame and observed it was right where I saved it over 20 minutes after the internet was disconnected.

So its not all doom and gloom. Yes the DRM sucks, and yes they should be shot for putting it in there (as it kills resale), but hey we've got a top notch sub game, and it doesn't penalize you mid game if you lose internet connectivity. Yes you can't play if you don't have internet at the start of the game session, but at least it doesn't get you going and then give you the dumps mid game.

Note: I don't know if I could start a new patrol without internet connectivity or anything like that, but if I was a betting man I'd bet that I could. It seems that the implementation is only in the launcher for barring entry to the game.

Interesting. I was curious how it would work specifically with this game, since it's a sim without any real checkpoint system for auto saves.

8. Top | #148

Thanks for posting that info AB. It seems that they have setup the DRM to work differently with different games. From my understanding Assassins Creed 2 handles the disconnection differently. Edit: I just hope they don't put out a patch for the HOMM games that puts this DRM on it by stealth.

9. Top | #149

My Social Network

Well, we ALL knew this was going to happen, but I'm actually surprised it took them that long!

Techday- Game Console: Ubisoft's DRM already cracked - 4th March, 2010

The much-discussed Digital Rights Management (DRM) that Ubisoft is implementing for its future PC titles has already been cracked for the first release to feature it. There are reports that pirated versions of Silent Hunter 5 are now available to download with a crack that allows players to bypass the DRM.

The DRM would require any legitimate owners of PC versions of Ubisoft titles to maintain an internet connection in order to play the game. It’s a move that has many gamers up in arms as they feel they shouldn’t have to be connected to the internet in order to play their PC titles. Also, the relative unreliability of the internet might render gamers incapable of playing their games more than they might like.

However, reports indicate that a simple crack file can be used with illegitimate copies of Silent Hunter 5 that allows the game to be played without an internet connection. The pirates warn, however, that players should not launch the Ubisoft Launcher, or they can simply block any connection to the internet.

The PC version of Assassin’s Creed II is the next Ubisoft title scheduled to implement the DRM.

10. Top | #150
    Warnstaff

And how many HOURS has it been out?

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information