+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Spore De-Authorizer work with SecuROM removed?

1. Top | #1
    scootero1211

Does Spore De-Authorizer work with SecuROM removed?

I removed Spore and SecuROM from my parents' computer after seeing this site. After discovering the de-authorization tool, I am wondering if I will still be able to run it after I have removed SecuROM? Please say yes, I think I'm almost out of activations!

SecuROM stinks.

2. Top | #2
    UTtheLofty

Re: Does Spore De-Authorizer work with SecuROM removed?

If you've deleted the License registry entry(the one that's really hard to delete, requiring either regdellnull or trashreg), then probably not. You're welcome to try it. I do not actually have experience with the deauthorization tools, and I could be wrong. But based on my understanding of how it works, I don't believe the de-authorization tool will help after removing that license file.

3. Top | #3

I downloaded the EA multi revoke tool just for fun and tried it after I have removed all license information via trashreg. It can't find any revocable activations so you can't get activations back. Not a big deal for me but for others, I guess.

4. Top | #4
    midfingr

Just a quick note. As stated, removing SecuROM registry entries will indeed remove the activation information needed for authorization/de-authorization. The same goes for the removal tool, since it's purpose is to remove SecuROM -- it's related files, folders and registry keys.

5. Top | #5

So can they keep a copy of the license file somewhere to get around it? Is that even physically possible?

6. Top | #6

If I'm not mistaken, that is even more difficult than removing Securom 'the old way'. Mid what do you say?

7. Top | #7

I know Spore players have been using it to get around the fact that they can't out and out remove SecuRom due to the fact that some features apparently just don't work properly with the pirated copy.. So what I'd be wondering is, does the license file regenerate along with SecuRom the next time they launch the game again?

8. Top | #8

I don't think so. I think, the license information is added throughout the activation process. So you have to repeat activation, thus means 1 activation lost. I was quite sure that this is so but maybe you should add this information VERY EXPLICITLY in the removal guide, because un-experienced users may don't see this.

9. Top | #9
    midfingr

That's a tough question. I do know that I kept registry entries and folders for digital downloads (if I remembered to do so). F.E.A.R. was one I purchased from D2D, SecuROM of course, and I did keep the relevant information. Any time I did a format of Windows and re-installed the game, I placed the registry keys and files back. After that, I was not asked to activate.

So, from my experience it is possible. However that is just one case and may have been a lucky with that particular game. I see where this is leading though.
    Place commands into the script to backup the registry and folders. I'll dig around my backups (may take a while) and see what's needed.

10. Top | #10

We can even provide a 'safe Spore' edition that allows them to back up this info.. Personally, if this helps those guys keep their activations and take the power back into their own hands, it's all good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information