+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humble Bundle now doing EA Origin games

1. Top | #1

My Social Network

Follow Lisa Pham On Twitter Add Lisa Pham on Facebook
    Add Lisa Pham on Linkedin

Humble Bundle now doing EA Origin games

"The Humble Origin Bundle" EA games that require/force you to use Origin (DRM). Seriously, what were you thinking? Are you out of your mind? And some come with Steam (DRM) keys ... wow, two kinds of DRM thrown into one deal.

Here's another question: Is EA getting so desperate they need to push their games through Humble now?

8 triumphant games. Pay what you want and get the terrifying sci-fi horror third person shooter Dead Space 3; the original bone-chilling horror shooter Dead Space; the intense action-packed supersoldier shooter Crysis 2 Maximum Edition; the high speed open-world crash happy racer Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box; the authentic modern warfare sim Medal of Honor; and the first person parkour thrill ride Mirror's Edge. Pay over the average and receive the beloved life sim The Sims 3 (along with two expansion packs in The Sims 3 Starter Pack) and the unrivaled military shooter Battlefield 3.

Fire it up on Origin. Buying the Humble Origin Bundle gets you the games to play on Windows through Origin (system requirements here), with The Sims 3 also available on Mac! Electronic Arts has also provided Steam keys for some of the games (full list here)!

Pay what you want. On their own, all these mind-blowing titles would cost about $215, but we're letting you name your price! Pay any price to get soundtracks for The Sims 3 and Battlefield 3. A purchase of $1 or more gets you Origin* keys for all the games, and you can also get Steam keys for Dead Space, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Medal of Honor, and Mirror's Edge! Beat the average to also get The Sims 3, two expansion packs in The Sims 3 Starter Pack, and Battlefield 3.

*Note: This bundle provides Origin keys for all the games on Windows, with The Sims 3 also available on Mac. Select games also come with Steam keys.

Whatever happened to the Humble Bundle being used for Indies and DRM free games. I guess the answer to that is: Everyone has a price (as the saying goes).

Yeah, as you can see, I'm not happy about this... I'm also very disappointed in Humble.

People can argue that EA is giving all proceeds to charity, but it's not from their heart, it's done out of desperation, plus, it's not the point of my anger..

Origin free EA games and all money going to charity, isn't as bad. But Full DRM isn't what I see Humble should be doing under any circumstances.

Also, EA has nothing to lose in this. Any sales would be more than they would have had anyway. They are banking on getting their name in a better light. Being voted worst company in the US for two years straight has hurt them more then they will admit to any of us.

An update:
    We are aware of issues affecting code redemption in Origin. We are working to resolve this ASAP.
    That's right... sell games and force people to use Origin... A broken Origin.

2. Top | #2
    What was the original model of Humble Bundle anyway ? I only heard about it but never deep enough to understand everything in it.
    And judging from these comments.... the negativity really pointed toward humble bundle.
    Sorry for the grammar, English is not my 1st language.

3. Top | #3

My Social Network

Follow Lisa Pham On Twitter Add Lisa Pham on Facebook
    Add Lisa Pham on Linkedin
    Yeah, there's a lot of pretty angry or disapointed gamers over this.... it's all over Twitter too.

To me, Humble was for the little guys, for the DRM Free games, cross-platformed.. not just for Windows, but also for Mac & Linus lovers too. Now they do THQ, Steam, Origin... Heavy DRMed games, with no Mac or Linux support. It's all very sad.

Yes, they are still doing some indie bundles, but it doesn't feel right that they do the bigger companies.

4. Top | #4
    Its still super cheap from a consumer perspective though. Its also good to see that a game like Dead Space 3 is on there which was only released earlier this year. Guess their experiment with microtransactions in an AAA game failed miserably so much so that they are now virtually giving away copies of that game.

Not to mention that usually there is another couple of games that are yet to be added so its really good value. Guess EA needed to do something to try please consumers. Cheap games is a start but they still got a lot more to do to win people over.

5. Thanks Lisa Pham Thanked for this post (Above)
  6. Top | #5
    Also like to point out that once again EA fails to forsee the extent of users on their servers after pulling a stunt/promotion like this. Redeeming the products on Origin has virtually grinded to a halt with everyone probably trying to redeem their codes at once

7. Thanks Lisa Pham Thanked for this post (Above)
    Likes Lisa Pham Liked this post (Above)
  8. Top | #6
    I don't know if steam inclusion into humble bundle ended up with lots of negative comments too.
    For EA, well... it is EA, what else can you expect ? Twice worst company winner is enough as base.
    So it is normal when they get a lot of resentment.

I believe every bundle buyer there end up as EA tool for boasting.

Yes, I agree that the word of 'humble' should not include DRM + microtransaction + DLC. ( those EA games really riddled with DLCs )
    Sorry for the grammar, English is not my 1st language.

9. Thanks Lisa Pham Thanked for this post (Above)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information