Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gabe Newell bellows advice that all companies should heed

1. Top | #11

My Social Network

Follow Lisa Pham On Twitter Add Lisa Pham on Facebook
    Add Lisa Pham on Linkedin
    Quote Originally Posted by scottr1013 View Post
    Originally Posted by Lisa Pham
    Well, he's got that right, now he just needs to get the rest right and get Steam up to a score of Consumer Friendly.
    What exactly needs to be done with this though?

I'm a hard core Steam advocate and the ONLY area I can think of where this is needed to be done is their support department with around a week (if you're lucky) turn around time on support tickets. Everything else seems fine but then again I am a US citizen and I know of the conversion rates (1 Euro = 1 USD) arguments etc. which a majority of those are work-aroundable (not a word... yet)
    We can't give away anymore than what we've already reported when we evaluated Brink. If companies want to know more and get our help to become consumer friendly they will need to come to us. We can't and won't give away all the answers.

2. Top | #12
    I use Steam because it's the best of the bunch at the moment for PC games, but honestly, I would rather they focused their efforts as much to support as sales, I would much rather feel like a person when I buy a steam game, than a number.

Other than that, as I said, it's the best there is at the moment.

3. Top | #13
    Social Media & Content Management Choklad's Avatar

My Social Network

Follow Choklad On Twitter Add Choklad on Google+
    I just started using Steam a few months ago and I like it well enough. Pretty simple and non-intrusive, though I get why people might object to certain aspects of it. I didn't know you have to wait a week for a reply from support, though. Yikes. That's a bit much.

4. Top | #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Choklad View Post
    I just started using Steam a few months ago and I like it well enough. Pretty simple and non-intrusive, though I get why people might object to certain aspects of it. I didn't know you have to wait a week for a reply from support, though. Yikes. That's a bit much.
    The support department is a bit lacking but when you see that they have over 5 million users, I can, to a degree, understand the wait.

However in most cases I have read on the forums, they unfortunately love to CTRL+V / CTRL+C answers without really investigating the issue. From someone whom works as a phone jockey and customer support, that is truely unacceptable. Once you get past that and if your issue is legit, most of them are more than willing to treat you like a perseon about 2 to 3 e-mails in.

5. Top | #15
    Senior Member Chris (Wolvenmoon)'s Avatar
    @kaka

Lending would be really easy with a modification to Steam's gifting system. Simply allow a user to gift a game they bought for themselves, and set a date or manually recall the gift.

Hyperbole is a bad habit, one the game industry should keep confined to its products and not its PR.

@scottr1013
    Steam was a bit rocky at the start, but it was also voluntary for quite a bit. I got Half Life 2 on PC disks. It wasn't until about 2009 that I started letting it run resident on my system. Until then I used it for Garry's Mod and Source Engine games exclusively.

I think we'd agree there. If you look at I.D. Software and the stuff they were saying as RAGE launched (http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...ven-id-says-so ) and the reviews it was getting/issues it was having on PC, (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...some-of-it.ars ), knowing it was a tech demo to ID's latest engine, http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/1...ever-gamed.ars compared to Epic Games' Samaritan demo that works on current generation hardware, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM .

Toss in Sanctum and Dungeon Defenders as Indie games using the Unreal engine, then the AAA launches on it, http://www.unrealengine.com/showcase , and there's another drop in the theory's bucket.

I remember saying way back in 2008 when SecuROM was going from nasty to vulgar that our current generation of game companies would be replaced if they didn't reform. It's rather vindicating to watch them start to reap the brambles they've sown on fertile soil. It's getting to be late for them to change crops.
    Proudly not a subscription nor microtransaction gamer. Charge me up front or not at all.

6. Top | #16
    Without directly quoting I actually pre-date HL2 and am back in the HL1 modding days when World Opponent Network (WON) was the match maker before they switched to Steam.

Also as for your tech stuff and agreeances, I'm not 100% clear as to what that's referring to.
    (I don't consider Dungeon Defenders Indie by the way, they used a publisher for financial backing. I posted something on Trendy Entertainment as well on the Problems in PC Gaming forum)

7. Top | #17
    Senior Member Chris (Wolvenmoon)'s Avatar
    I was a stranger to Valve until Half Life 2.

I didn't know Trendy had a publisher backing them, that's rather interesting.

Epic Megagames is on record as being pro-PC. They have a range of games made on their engine from indie/small budget to triple A. The Samaritan demo was meant to point out what was possible on current high end hardware for in game graphics.

Rage was a full game that also served to demo I.D.'s new engine. Around the time it launched I.D. started talking about how dead PC gaming was. The game and the engine weren't great on PC.

Epic and I.D. are directly competing here, one says PC gaming is dead, the other says it's alive and well. The one saying it's dead has all of their eggs in the console gaming basket. The other is fairly platform agnostic. "PC Gaming is Dead" in this case is code for "we can't offer a competitive product on PC right now".
    Proudly not a subscription nor microtransaction gamer. Charge me up front or not at all.

8. Top | #18
    I now have better access to steam and the games now because I have moved to a place where the internet is much better and a lot more accessible, However there are still gamers out there that can't play any of their favorite games on or from steam because they have crap internet like I did once or no internet at all so please have some consideration for them and also please tell me how is steams offline mode great if your internet is crap or have no internet at all.

As over time I have noticed Americans stating how great steam is no wonder steam is great it originates from the united states of cause it's going to be great because it serves the US citizens first and the rest of the world last Australia and New Zealand pretty much at the bottom when it comes to being served and to boot we are getting ripped of money wise too.

Last time I spoke to valve, I almost had to wait a week for assistance to getting the actual steam program to work I still think they are highly under staffed considering the size of their outfit (Business) and the only reason I did not have to wait a week was because I (bluffed) a threat that I was going to report them to our Current affair program or show that is on our channel win network or 9 as it is called in some other states of Australia, once they read that they moved their behinds real quick.

Valve still has their thumb over us they just not pushing as hard as the other company's are but in saying that a company has not got the right to control when we choose to play our games and at current valve and it's steam platform are still doing that.

Have some consideration for those that have crap internet or no internet at all, there are still many people or gamers out there that are under those circumstances. A company is no good if it can't include all of it's consumers, they have the money and the time to make something better but they choose not to because of greed and not thinking about what they are doing.

genuine legitimate consumers should not be controlled by a offline or online mode Valve and the rest of them have the time and the money to make something better what they should do is get their finger out of their A** and do something about it.
    Fight fire with fire: If Invasive DRM schemes want to play hardball- well, so will I.

9. Top | #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris (Wolvenmoon) View Post
    I didn't know Trendy had a publisher backing them, that's rather interesting.
    They had 2. The first one went belly up or dropped them, I forgot which.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information