+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is this conduct becoming of a company of CD Projekt's standing?

1. Top | #11
    Check all EA IP's! That would be awesome.

2. Top | #12
    Retired Community Manager MaryH's Avatar

My Social Network

Follow MaryH On Twitter Add MaryH on Facebook
    Ubisoft, and others! Question is, can you find the actual IP's of the parent corporations?

It'd be interesting to see what comes up...
    This is what I have to say about that! FM Hilton.

3. Top | #13
    You would need to get the IP's of there CEOs and the like. That might be harder.. It would be easier to get the Devs IP. I'm sure you could find a way to find theirs.

4. Top | #14

My Social Network

Follow PALADiN On Twitter Add PALADiN on Facebook Add PALADiN on Google+
    Visit PALADiN's Youtube Channel
    Games On Net picked up on this too. Most of the comments on that story are quite disheartening.
    DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

5. Top | #15

My Social Network

Follow Lisa Pham On Twitter Add Lisa Pham on Facebook
    Add Lisa Pham on Linkedin
    Those people need to understand that not everyone has an IP that DOESN'T change.

Many get their IP changed/reset when their modem is reset or just simply turned off then on again. So there will be many accused for something someone else did and expected to pay over a thousand dollars for mistaken identity. Now THAT'S WRONG.

I understand these companies want to recoup some money from illegal downloaders, but NOT at the expense of hurting even more innocent people.

EDIT:

PALADiN, I actually just said this same thing on there as I don't want you to be the only one on there trying to get them to understand it's not OK for CDP to do this.

6. Top | #16
    Social Media & Content Management Choklad's Avatar

My Social Network

Follow Choklad On Twitter Add Choklad on Google+
    "We could introduce advanced copy protection systems which, unfortunately, punish legal customers as well. Instead, we decided to give gamers some additional content with each game release, to make their experience complete."
    Oh, but you'll go after pirates using a system that punishes some legal citizens as well. That's totally OK. *rolls eyes*

Edit: quote is from the torrentfreak article

7. Top | #17
    Retired Community Manager MaryH's Avatar

My Social Network

Follow MaryH On Twitter Add MaryH on Facebook
    In the US, there have been many cases where the courts have thrown out these for lack of trackable IPs-in the most notorious one, Righthaven, the judge stated that it was an outright scheme to blackmail those who were allegedly caught in the scheme-and most of them have been thrown out of court due to lack of standing.
    Here's the latest on Righthaven's survival-they're nearly in bankruptcy due to a chain of reversed court decisions:http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011...st-legal-blow/
    After initially earning what are believed to be hundreds of thousands of dollars in settlements, Righthaven has suffered a series of courtroom defeats. In four cases, defendants were protected by the fair use doctrine in using material from the R-J. In addition, six federal judges in Nevada and Colorado have found Righthaven lacked standing to sue because, even after obtaining copyrights for its lawsuits from the newspapers, the newspapers maintained control of the content at issue.
    Even more interesting to read is this website-which is dedicated to those sites and people who have been caught in Righthaven's slimy claws:
    Righthaven Victims

RIAA and the MPAA have taken up the cause for Righthaven, and now the EFF has thrown down their gauntlet.

To sum up: the only people who are getting money from this entire wicked scheme of blackmail are lawyers. Those who were targeted have lost money and time, not to mention sleep.

I don't know if this is going to fly very far in Germany, where the action is taking place, but CD Projeckt should be very careful to not try it in the US, because it's already been tried and failed by at least one media company.

Of course we all know about the famous file-sharing cases that the RIAA has brought against individuals-and the incredible fines that have been imposed. The upshot of those were:
    Wikipedia
    In December 2008 the Wall Street Journal reported that the RIAA had dropped its program of mass lawsuits in favor of cooperative enforcement agreements with a number of ISPs. The RIAA still reserves the right to file lawsuits against 'particularly flagrant' offenders, but the article predicted these lawsuits would "slow to a trickle."
    In the long run, it costs the company that sues more money and less rewards.

For the status in general of file sharing lawsuits: Wired

Today, the RIAA — the lobbying group for the world’s big four music companies, Sony BMG, Universal Music, EMI and Warner Music — admits that the lawsuits are largely a public relations effort, aimed at striking fear into the hearts of would-be downloaders. Spokeswoman Cara Duckworth of the RIAA says the lawsuits have spawned a "general sense of awareness" that file sharing copyrighted music without authorization is "illegal."
    Yet, it's still a problem. There's no easy answers to it, but tracking IP's and suing whoever happens to be linked to them is not the way to go about getting redress!

The comments section in that site are very depressing. People accept whatever argument for whatever reason? How sheeplike they are.

"You can track me all you like..I have nothing to hide!"

Except your privacy.
    This is what I have to say about that! FM Hilton.

8. Top | #18
    I am so not as articulate as most of you guys, I just seem to get annoyed. Very disappointed with CDP's actions, and in my eyes, it has tainted www.gog.com as they are a sister company, so i'm holding off buying games from them until they issue a statement.

The worst part is, that there are getting less and less ways to just play games, without all this "crap". Which is a shame, because all I really want to do is play games.

9. Top | #19
    Oh dam. well i'm not trying to say that what they are doing is right however i remember reading an interview with CD Projekt where they said they were sued by Namco Bandai for removing the drm. Couldn't this also be similar in that Namco is the one making them sue people. I know i sound like i'm in denial but CD Projekt are my favourite pc developers, i thought they were aweome in the way they were treating pc gamers but this just goes to far

10. Top | #20
    Senior Member Chris (Wolvenmoon)'s Avatar
    An ISP keeps track of who it assigns a dynamic IP address to and when for about a month. More if they receive a complaint. So a company says "IP address X stole our stuff and we saw them at time Y", the ISP is going to know exactly who did it unless the complaint comes in an obscenely long time later. There's also the potential of a person continuing to pirate through multiple IP addresses. Having a few IP address/timestamp combos all pointing to the same person would seal most cases.

However, tapping in to Jack Thompson's legacy by bringing up the word 'lawyer' to gamers is never a great idea. In fact, "We'll sue you" is one of the least motivating slogans ever. They should have spent that money doing giveaways to legitimate buyers for all the good the lawyers will do them.
    Proudly not a subscription nor microtransaction gamer. Charge me up front or not at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information