+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Armadillo/SoftwarePassport

1. Top | #1

Armadillo/SoftwarePassport

Does anyone know anything about the Armadillo/SoftwarePassport DRM program?

I've done some Googling and haven't really come up with much beyond that it is sold by Silicon Realms Toolworks and what it can be used for. There have been a few mentions of it on some forums but nothing really substantial.

I do know that it does install itself onto your computer as it is in my registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>The Silicon Realms Toolworks>Armadillo. Some anti-virus programs flag it as a trojan or other issue but I can't seem to find if it causes any other problems.

Of the few posts I've read about Armadillo on the forums I've found through Google some people consider it to be tough to crack but harmless. Oberon Media who is using it for downloadable files now says all the files downloaded with it are completely safe for a users computer.

Seems like I remember hearing those words before about something else. ;)

After all the SecuROM issues I don't trust anything that installs itself on my PC without my knowing about it and consenting for it to be there and I'd really like to find out more about it.

2. Top | #2

Re: Armadillo/SoftwarePassport

I haven't heard anything about this, Saint. Oberon - they do Big Fish games? Or Big Fish distributes Oberon games? I have several Big Fish games, but not anything called Armadillo or Silicon Realms (what an airy name for DRM!).

I got a CD from Big Fish in the mail today. I'm ascairt to put it on my laptop...was thinking of firing up my old comp, see what it does to my registry.

3. Top | #3

I'm not sure just how Oberon and Big Fish are related, if they even are. I've never played any Big Fish games so I'll have to check that one out.

I've got an older computer as well that I use as my guinea pig for anything I want to play. I usually always install everything there first (and see how it affects that computer and what goes into its registry) before moving the game over to my preferred PC. The older one is a lot easier to clean up or format if the need arises. Nowadays, gaming has almost become a chore instead of a pleasure.

I'll keep digging for info about Armadillo and if I find anything substantial I'll get it posted ASAP.

4. Top | #4

Nowadays, gaming has almost become a chore instead of a pleasure.
    I swear, some days that's the only reason I can stay mad at all this nonsense!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information