+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gothic 4: ArcaniA using SecuROM 7

1. Top | #1

My Social Network

Follow Lisa Pham On Twitter Add Lisa Pham on Facebook
    Add Lisa Pham on Linkedin

Gothic 4: ArcaniA using SecuROM 7

Recently RYG did testing on a few of JoWoods games (including Gothic 3) using ByteShield as the protection... So why use SecuROM for Gothic 4??

ArcaniA – Gothic 4 Will Use SecuROM for Protection
    Gamers Daily News | Christophor Rick (TheSuperGuido)

You might best know Sony DADC as the makers of one of the worst copy protection systems in the world, SecuROM. SecuROM has been accused of being everything from a rootkit to just a burden and a barrier to gamers even going so far as to actually prevent gamers from playing their games. EA was recently slapped with a lawsuit in the US due to its inclusion in their game, Spore. It has even been known to require activation per user, on the same computer which was probably the cause of its later removal from Bioshock.

Why JoWood would decide that this was the best form of DRM for their product, is baffling. They state they are reacting "to the needs of the gaming community," but really it looks like they’re working to alienate the community.

ARCANIA– GOTHIC 4 WILL BE PROVIDED WITH USER-FRIENDLY DIGITAL SERVICES BY JOWOOD ENTERTAINMENT AND SONY DADC

Vienna, Austria, September 20 2010; JoWooD Entertainment, the BVT Group and DreamCatcher Interactive announce details of the planned digital services for ArcaniA– Gothic 4 and therefore react to the needs of the gaming community.

“Digital Rights Management as a module of the digital services has always been a tightrope walk between user friendliness and security of the product. ArcaniA– Gothic 4 is different here” explains Clemens Schneidhofer, JoWooD Entertainment.“With Arcania– Gothic 4 we deliver a high-quality product gamers will enjoy playing for hours. This joy and fun should not be disturbed by intrusive copy protection measures. So SecuROM is the perfect solution for us because it offers the necessary security and at the same time it fulfills our high expectations concerning costumer-friendliness.”

ArcaniA– Gothic 4 can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs and only needs to be activated once via the Internet. To play, which can be done at up to three PCs at a time, neither the original disc nor a constant internet connection is needed. The possibility of an uncomplicated transfer of license between the used PC offers a maximum of flexibility to the customer.

“The implemented digital services will be perfected by a user-friendly Auto Update Feature that informs the gamer pro-actively– without an annoying search– about the availability of a new Update and installs with the permission of the gamer right away” says Sascha Geschwendtner, Product Manager Games Services Sony DADC.“In addition other innovative solutions to increase the usability and the comfort of the game were implemented one of them being the verification of the release date. This feature allows the user to install the game in advance and to start it directly on the release date and therefore helps to avoid unnecessary waiting time to access the game-world.”

Arcania: Gothic 4 SecuROM DRM features one-time activation, auto-update, pre-load
    NeoSeeker - Sean Ridgeley - Monday, September 20, 2010

Sony is stepping up with its PC game protection scheme SecuROM, offering some neat features alongside the DRM functionality in the upcoming RPG Arcania: Gothic 4.

The game requires a one-time online activation and can be installed on up to three PCs at any one time. After activation, neither a connection nor the disc are required for play. Besides that, you can expect added features akin to services like Impulse and Steamworks -- in this case, auto updating and pre-loading, so you can install the game ahead of the launch date and begin playing right away when it's triggered.

All in all, pretty reasonable stuff, and it's good to see Sony improving its "service" instead of just doing the bare minimum, so to speak.

Arcania launches October 12 on PC (console versions to come later), with a demo releasing late this month.

USER-FRIENDLY
    &
    pretty reasonable stuff
    I'll believe that when I see it... After testing Borderlands and it's DLC The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned.... and trust me when I say this... SecuROM was a NIGHTMARE ... I ended up having to reformat my PC to be rid of the effects it caused.

So, my BIG Question is.... Why Use SecuROM??

There are better protections out there than using SecuROM, so why not use them!? *sigh*

2. Top | #2
    Researcher and Designer Martin Pham's Avatar

My Social Network

Add Martin Pham on Linkedin
    Regardless of their intentions by 'reacting to the needs of the Community' they simply have a poor DRM policy in place for Gothic 4 if they opted for SecuROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Pham
    So, my BIG Question is.... Why Use SecuROM??
    It's something I would like to ask given their track record.
    We've provided our project planner in case you're interested in working with us.

Games Completed in 2012:
    On RYG (Completed 390 Hours of 500 Hours)
    Books Completed in 2012: The Curations Series and on Goodreads.com. (50 Books in 2012)

3. Top | #3

My Social Network

The members of JoWoods forum AREN'T happy either.... and I can't blame them (I perfectly understand what one of them states here).... Can you??

Lycanthrope:
    So, kids, what have we learnt?

Victimise your customer base and you're doing nothing more than cutting off your nose to spite your face. The idea that JoWood has already forked out a small fortune (I assume) to SecuRom does nothing more than reveal ignorance and a lack of understanding of what their customers (and their potential customers) want and how we want to be treated (fairly).

Hell, do a simple Google search and see how many entries you get from people who have trouble getting SecuRom off of their computers, how many people are steadfast against SecuRom and know that those are your potential customers that you have lost before you even started.
    It will be sold through Steam, but it's still not known if it will only use the in-house DRM or with an added 3rd party (SecuROM) as well.

JoWood Group -PC Game News
    “Digital Rights Management as a module of the digital services has always been a tightrope walk between user friendliness and security of the product. ArcaniA – Gothic 4 is different here” explains Clemens Schneidhofer, JoWooD Entertainment. “With Arcania – Gothic 4 we deliver a high-quality product gamers will enjoy playing for hours. This joy and fun should not be disturbed by intrusive copy protection measures. So SecuROM is the perfect solution for us because it offers the necessary security and at the same time it fulfills our high expectations concerning costumer-friendliness.”

ArcaniA – Gothic 4 can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs and only needs to be activated once via the Internet. To play, which can be done at up to three PCs at a time, neither the original disc nor a constant internet connection is needed. The possibility of an uncomplicated transfer of license between the used PC offers a maximum of flexibility to the customer.
    Well I guess it's another game I'll have to purchase to do an independent evaluation on (then we'll see just how consumer-friendly it really is).

As an added bit for your eyes... (SecuROM Related and posted today)..

An Open Letter to SecuROM

The persons name has been removed from the open letter, but that could be one of many to write that... So many HONEST CONSUMERS do exactly the same thing (purchase a legal copy, then get the crack to play it DRM free). *Sigh*

And there is only one comment so far...

Anonymous said...
    "Ubisoft used a cracked exe from RELOADED for the PC game Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 after a new patch broke legally downloaded versions of the game"
    September 22, 2010 3:58 PM

4. Top | #4

My Social Network

Article: Gothic 4: ArcaniA using SecuROM 7

5. Top | #5
    Senior Member Chris (Wolvenmoon)'s Avatar
    Gothic 3 was a glitchfest that I couldn't play for years after I'd bought it because loading a save game took literally 8 minutes, the friendly AI constantly died to monsters requiring reloading, quests were broken, et cetera. The community/original devs banded together and released unauthorized patches, eventually turning it into a good game. Coincidentally, the unauthorized community patches did eventually involve a no-CD patch.

I think JoWood is doing an excellent job in teaching its user base that unauthorized patches are the only way to get a consumer friendly product from their games. Truly a masterful, purposed, intentional lesson they're teaching their customers.
    Proudly not a subscription nor microtransaction gamer. Charge me up front or not at all.

6. Top | #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolvenmoon View Post
    Gothic 3 was a glitchfest that I couldn't play for years after I'd bought it because loading a save game took literally 8 minutes, the friendly AI constantly died to monsters requiring reloading, quests were broken, et cetera. The community/original devs banded together and released unauthorized patches, eventually turning it into a good game. Coincidentally, the unauthorized community patches did eventually involve a no-CD patch.

I think JoWood is doing an excellent job in teaching its user base that unauthorized patches are the only way to get a consumer friendly product from their games. Truly a masterful, purposed, intentional lesson they're teaching their customers.
    Get your facts straight. The removal of the copy protection was done in 1.52 and included in any further patch. 1.60 was still an official patch. And it was made with the new developers, not the old ones. In fact, they didn't help a single bit.

Next bit of critisism is towards the author of the above article, as there is a link to an article about the review of several JoWooD games and their copy protection measures. First of all, the review documents seem to have gone, as the links don't work for non-registered users. Second of all, I wonder how you got to a score of only 98%, as there were in fact no copy protections whatsoever on those games....

Edit:
    I'd like to link to the post I made when the above article ended up on our forum:
    http://forum.jowood.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=56

7. Top | #7
    Senior Member Chris (Wolvenmoon)'s Avatar
    http://www.g3cpt.eu/team

Regardless of whatever internal politics happened, it required community involvement before the game was brought to a place it was playable for end users.

Where's the 98% from?

And uhm, dude, RYG helped vet the copy protection that went on those games and tested it in action on those games.

If the links are dead, google the article titles.
    Proudly not a subscription nor microtransaction gamer. Charge me up front or not at all.

8. Top | #8
    Just take a look at the link you provided. There, under team-members. Thanks.

Now I just flipped through that "report" and the only thing negative is that according to this site it requires online activation. Guess what, I just disconnected, installed and played the game. Yes it is crap, but it worked nonetheless. No internet required.
    Byteshield does not list JoWooD as its customers.
    JoWooD does not list any copy protection at all for at least Forsaken Gods EN/DE.

Also, Byteshield was founded in 2003, far outdating this stuff here.

9. Top | #9
    He has a point there. which games used Byteshield? as far as I know. Spellforce series used Starforce & Securom....

The Securom online activation has many non transparent things aside from the history of OpenSSL holes. They leave undeletable registry entries and there´s a new File Activation Library, that is causing our automatic removal no longer work.

Your post in your forum will be answered shortly.

10. Top | #10
    Researcher and Designer Martin Pham's Avatar

My Social Network

Add Martin Pham on Linkedin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless2 View Post
    Byteshield does not list JoWooD as its customers.
    JoWooD does not list any copy protection at all for at least Forsaken Gods EN/DE.
    First of, welcome to RYG.

Secondly, you may want to visit ByteShield's website and submit a query in relation which whether or not Jowood implemented ByteShield's DRM in relation to Gothic 3: Gold and its expansion pack, Forsaken Gods. Be sure to select those two games aforementioned under "Category" before you submit your query.

Now as you can understand a Publisher may opt to use several DRM systems depending on where they release a particular game. Very few companies ever use the one DRM across many regions. For whichever reason that is due to distribution, both digital and physical, it's economically feasible to opt for DRM systems developed domestically.

In the case with JoWood, they approached ByteShield several months ago (may 2010) in relation to Gothic 3: Gold and Forsaken Gods. Where it was released is something that you can ask Jowood and ByteShield if you are inclined.

From our perspective (back then) we were asked to have a look at a few of their (JoWood's) games and have it tested using ByteShield's DRM. Our analysis and report for the games we tested remain as is and will remain so until we're asked to retest the same game(s) with various DRMs.

At this point, we're not overly concerned whether JoWood is willing to divulge any accurate information to its customers, such as yourself. Again, that's something that you may or may not want to investigate. Our job is to sift through the information and the misinformation and make our assessments.

The fact is, JoWood has decided to implement SecuROM in Gothic 4. And the fact is, SecuROM is a pain for Consumers during its implementation and/or during its removal. It is not the best of DRM systems out there (neither is ByteShield) and we have a team, both internal and external, that can attest to this with ample proof.

If people are concerned about its implications then they can decide on these two facts. We merely inform without prejudice. If you would like, you can send through your assessment as per your post and we can add to it so Consumers are better informed.

I must admit, we are learning as a Company and there are many processes that we've developed, including our DRM testing structure, that requires enhancement. And, for that, I'm quite thankful for your post as you've given me more ideas - free ideas, that is - to work with.

Anyway, if you have any more queries you're more than welcome to ask. I'm more than happy to answer them.
    We've provided our project planner in case you're interested in working with us.

Games Completed in 2012:
    On RYG (Completed 390 Hours of 500 Hours)
    Books Completed in 2012: The Curations Series and on Goodreads.com. (50 Books in 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information